Setup Energia on Mac OS X
Need help? The Energia discussion forum is hosted on 43oh.com.
Installing the LaunchPad drivers
+ MSP-EXP432P401R LaunchPad
+ CC3200 LaunchPad
Follow the instructions on this page http://energia.nu/cc3200guide/ for important jumper settings and firmware upgrade instructions.
- Do not connect your CC3200 LaunchPad to your Mac. If you already plugged it into your Mac then unplug it before proceeding to step 2.
- Download the CC3200 Drivers for macOS: CC3200 LaunchPad CDC drivers zip file for Mac OS X.
- Unzip EnergiaFTDIDrivers2.3-signed.zip.
- Double click the EnergiaFTDIDrivers2.3-signed.pkg and follow the instructions.
- Reboot your Mac.
- Connect your CC3200 LaunchPad to your Mac. The CC3200 will be automatically recognized.
+ MSP-EXP430G2 and MSP-EXP430FR5739 LaunchPad
- Download the LaunchPad drivers for Mac OS X: LaunchPad CDC drivers zip file for Mac OS X. This driver has been signed and works on Mac OS X 10.x (Yosemite).
- Unzip and double click MSP430LPCDC 1.0.3b-Signed.pkg
- Follow the instructions.
+ MSP-EXP430F5529LP, MSP-EXP430FR4133, MSP-EXP430FR5969, and MSP-EXP430FR6989 LaunchPad
If your board says “eZ-FET Rev 1.2 with Energy Trace” then this board is currently not support by Energia. The board version is most likely 2.0 and above. The reason for not supporting this board yet is that the driver used by the programmer does not yet support all operating systems. As soon as this driver becomes available for all operating systems an Energia update will be made available. This also means that as soon as we do update the driver, all MSP-EXP430FR5969 without Energy trace will no longer be supported. Texas Instruments should have replaced your board with the new Energy Trace board if you purchases an early version of the MSP-EXP430FR5969 LaunchPad without Energy Trace.No drivers are needed for this LaunchPad.
+ EK-TM4C123GXL, EK-TM4C1294XL and EK-LM4F120XL LaunchPad
The most recent release of Energia can be downloaded from the download page.
Double click the energia-0101EXXXX-macosx.dmg file and drag the Energia application onto the Application folder.
On OS X 10.8, as Energia isn’t a signed package yet, proceed as follow:
- First time you use Energia, press `ctrl` and click on Energia, choose `Open` on the menu.
- A window states Energia isn’t signed and asks for confirmation to launch it: confirm and Energia starts.
- This procedure isn’t required after.
If a window pop-ups and claims “Energia is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash” don’t panic! The “damaged application” message is a cryptic reminder that Energia isn’t signed and thus not truth-worthy according to Mountain Lion.
Proceed as follow:
- Launch Systems Preferences on the Apple menu
- Select Security and Privacy
- Click on the padlock, type your password and confirm
- Select Authorise the apps downloaded from everywhere and confirm
- Go back to the folder containing Energia
- Ctrl-click on Energia and select Open
- If a message asks you to confirm, confirm
- Once Energia is running, go back the the Systems Preferences and select the previous setting for Authorize the apps, either Mac App Store or Mac App Store and Identified developers.
- Next time you double-click on Energia, the application will be launched normally.
Double click Energia.app (Mac OS X users). Energia will start and an empty Sketch window will appear.
Selecting the Serial Port
Select Serial Port from the Tools menu to view the available serial ports. On windows, they will be listed as COMXXX port and usually a higher number is the LaunchPad com port. On Mac OS X they will be listed as /dev/cu.uart-XXXX. On Mac OS X make sure to select the /dev/cu.uart-XXXX and NOT the /dev/tty.uart-XXX
On the CC3200 programming takes place through the Serial port. If you get a message letting you know that the Serial port timed out or could not be found, then make sure that you have selected the right Serial port from the Tools->Serial Port menu.
For more on configuring your Launchpad for serial communication, see Serial-Communication
Selecting the Board
To select the board or rather the msp430 in your LaunchPad, select Board from the Tools menu and choose the board that matched the msp430 in the LaunchPad.
Uploading Your First Blinky Sketch
To load the Blinky example into the editor, select Blink from the Blink from the File->Examples->1.Basics menu.
To compile and upload the Sketch to the LaunchPad click the Upload button.
If all is well then the green LED on your LaunchPad is happily blinking. Congratulations, you have uploaded your first Sketch. Energia includes many more examples to get you started with your electronic project. Need help? The Energia discussion forum is hosted on 43oh.com.